santa-maria-prima dell ristrutturazione


Podere di Santa Maria is a farmhouse built in two different periods, the house at the bottom has ancient origins – estimated around 1300 – while the upper part was built around 1600. We know for sure, from the archived documents, that at the end of the 1800s it was bought by one of the biggest mining companies of Italy, and that it has always been home to workers and farmers who responded to the orders of the nearby Colle Pozzai Farm‘s boss. Built along an old cattle track of Etruscan origins, it has long been also a resting place for the farmers and passersby who wanted to rest their oxen before the final climb up to the village of Ciciano.

costruzione piscina (22)

Its location along this road naturally makes it a setting dedicated to hospitality. In fact, this path was the only link between the valley and the hill and those who pass by here are still never denied a smile, a slice of cheese and a glass of wine.

After being abandoned in the 1960s, it underwent a first substantial restoration in the ’90s. In 2008 the farmhouse company Podere di Santa Maria was formed and the farm had been restored to what it is today. We have dedicated each house to a woman who lived and worked here from the 1300s to the ‘1940s: hence the names Gualdi, Erina and Ada. The story that led us to choose a jug as our logo is rather curious:

under construction

We are in the 1930s and Ada, a wily child is helping her mother making breakfast for the workers who have been busy from dawn to prepare the vineyard. They are two men from northern Italy who came to Tuscany looking for a job. The time passes by but nobody shows up at the table, so Ada runs to the fields to see what  has happened and to her surprise, she found not one but two half-open terracotta jugs and a message: “Thank you for your hospitality but we have already made enough money for the month, we are heading back to the North.”

During the world wars, in the countryside, peasants used to hide their wealth underground before fleeing into the woods to escape the bombing and before crossing the Front. Our friends, ie the workers from the north had perhaps found one of these hidden treasures, perhaps silverware, money and linen fabric!

So we wanted to dedicate a symbol of luck and prosperity to our company.